Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Let Us Pray

This Moment: I'm in Atlanta for the state of Georgia's annual Adult Literacy Conference.  The luncheon is in a large room, with seating for several hundred people.  As the food is about to be served, one of the speakers says "Let us pray."  Everybody, and I mean everybody, immediately bows their head.  Soon after, from way across the room I catch this old timer's eyes because we are the only people not praying.  We stare silently at each other for a few seconds and then each look around the room before we make eye contact again. As the prayer continues, each of us recedes into our own thoughts, waiting for things to start up again.

I have been reading about Robert Frank lately, so join me in imagining this scene as a black and white photo that didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment